Connect your website with Facebook
Your website includes a number of methods to connect with Facebook and other social networks. Click here for a User Guide
Note: If you already have a facebook 'Fan Page' and wish to change who has control over this Page, follow the instructions in this guide.
1. Page title bar - allowing your visitors to share a page via Facebook, Twitter and other networks
Each page of your website displays a page title bar that includes icons that link to popular social networks and communication tools. When people visit your website, they can click on an icon to connect with their network and share your page content amongst their friends.
2. Facebook ‘Share’ tab – allowing visitors to share your website via Facebook
You can increase the likelihood of your website visitors sharing your entire website with their Facebook friends by prominently displaying a Facebook ‘Share’ tab towards the top left of your website like this site has. You can turn this setting on or off by logging into your site and clicking the ‘Advanced’ icon, then selecting the ‘Connect with Facebook’ menu item.
Note that you can optionally also add a logo or picture that will be used by Facebook as the thumbnail image whenever someone clicks the ‘Share’ tab displayed on your website. You do not need to add a picture here but if you do, you should ensure the image you select is greater than 200x200 pixels and smaller than 5MB filesize, preferably square.
3. Displaying your Facebook feed within a page of your website
You can display your Facebook feed within your website so that whenever you make a post on Facebook, it will automatically display on your website. For instructions on how to do this, please Click Here
4. Automatically post your website Notices and News to your Facebook fan page
This feature saves you from having to update the same content on both your website and Facebook, by automatically sharing your News items and Notices with your Facebook fan page whenever they are updated on your website.
If you do not yet have a Facebook fan page for your club/school, you can create one at www.facebook.com/page
. Note that a fan page is different to a personal Facebook account/profile (which Facebook only allows for real people, not organisations). Anyone with a Facebook account/profile can create and manage a fan page for their club/school. Note that the identity of the person managing the fan page remains private and people cannot access your personal details or see your personal timeline.
By using a fan page for your club/school, people can ‘Like’ that page and thereafter whenever you post to that page either directly or from your website, people will receive your post to their own Facebook news feed. This method allows the News and Notices from your website to automatically be syndicated to your Facebook fan page and onwards to the news feeds of anyone who has Liked your Facebook Fan Page. This method is superior to only displaying a ‘Like’ or ‘Share’ button on your website, because it creates an ongoing relationship – forever sharing your News items and Notices with your Facebook community on an ongoing basis whenever you update these areas on your website.
To enable this feature, you must firstly have a fan page on Facebook. Follow the steps at www.facebook.com/page
or see this User Guide
if you need help. Once you have created a fan page, login to your website and click the ‘Advanced’ icon, then select the menu item ‘Connect with Facebook’. Tick the checkbox to ‘Post my website News & Notices to a Facebook fan page’ and enter the address of your own fan page (refer to User Guide
for further instructions).
Click the Save & Exit button. If you are not already logged into your Facebook Fan Page, you will be asked to login to Facebook and presented with a series of Facebook messages (click Okay to accept each one). Once finished successfully, you will be returned to the Advanced menu of your website.
How it works
Continue to use your website normally. Any time that you update and save a News item or send a new Notice from your website, it will automatically appear on the timeline of your Facebook Fan Page (and therefore be automatically shared onto the Facebook newsfeeds of anyone who has ‘liked’ your Facebook Fan Page).
will be shared to Facebook immediately when they are sent.
2. News items
are shared with Facebook after 20 minutes of inactivity with your editing of your website. This delay is to provide time to make changes to a News item or to hide it before it is shared to Facebook).
3. News items that are set to be ‘hidden’ do not get shared with Facebook.
4. A News item will only ever have the opportunity to be shared with Facebook once. So if you hide a News item to prevent it being shared with Facebook, the system will not subsequently attempt to share that item if you unhide it later.
5. The feature only starts sharing with Facebook after you have saved the settings. Any old News items and Notices that were created before you connect with Facebook will not be shared.
6. You can turn off your sharing with Facebook at any time, and sharing will be disabled immediately. This means that if you create a News item and don’t hide it, then switch off your connection with Facebook, the News item will not be shared with Facebook once the 20 minutes has elapsed.